In this discussion, we will consider the effects of smartphone use on our capacity to pay and sustain attention. In fact, studies in cognitive psychology have examined the broader implications of smartphone use on attention in general and shown that use of smartphones negatively impacts cognitive functions, including sustained attention. However, it is hard to imagine uncoupling everyday life from these internet-enabled devices. Importantly, are we all equally vulnerable to these effects? Or are some people at greater risk?
To answer the questions below, use your module reading as well as your own life experience. Your initial post should be a minimum of 200 words. When you describe ideas that are not your own, be sure to paraphrase and not use direct quotations.
For your initial post, address the following:
- In your opinion, should minors have access to smartphones?
- Consider the many facets of this question and weigh the positives of smartphones with the negatives, including both long-term and short-term effects. These could include such long-term effects as impacts on our ability for introspection, or short-term effects that include distraction and anxiety.
- Be specific in your response about the age group of minors you are referring to. You could focus on children 12 and under or teen drivers (or both).
- Ensure that your response is also founded in the resources from this module (or resources you find to back up your opinion) and that you are citing your sources.
- How does the concept of smartphone use and attention specifically in minors apply to any of the following programmatic course themes?
- Social justice
- Emotional intelligence (EI)
- Career connections
Remember to respond to two peers while being respectful of and sensitive to their viewpoints. Consider advancing the discussion in the following ways:
- Post an article, video, or visual to reinforce a peer’s idea or challenge them to see their point from a different perspective
- Engage in conversation with your peers around attention and smartphone use in minors. Consider asking a question or sharing your personal experience.
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."