As an investigator with the Federal Public Defenders Office, you are assisting Assistant Federal Defender Lilly Jones with gathering background information on offender Ben Smith, who pled guilty to distribution of a controlled substance (5 kilograms of cocaine). Mr. Smith is being sentenced next month.
In a 23-page paper, provide an overview of the following:
- Why were the federal sentencing guidelines developed, and what is their purpose?
- Who created the Federal Sentencing Guidelines?
- What factors will a court take into consideration when sentencing Mr. Smith?
- In your opinion, do the federal sentencing guidelines allow judges enough discretion when imposing a sentence in this type of case?
- Should judges have more or less discretion when it comes to sentencing?
- What are the 3 most important things that Ms. Jones should tell the judge at sentencing about Mr. Smith to aid in sentencing?
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."