In this discussion, were going to take a look at issues associated with reporting known or suspected cases of child abuse.
According to the American Psychological Association Presidential Task Force on Violence and the Family, “Surveys of health care professionals, including mental health providers, indicate that professionals often fail to report identified child maltreatment, despite being trained to identify child abuse and neglect. Many professionals indicate that they do not believe others will follow through to provide the help needed by a family coping with violence.” (APA, 1996, p. 63)
For the purposes of this discussion, choose a state that you are interested in and respond to all of the following questions and at least 2 of your classmates posts.
Helpful web site:
- Child Welfare Information Gateway https://www.childwelfare.gov/topics/systemwide/laws-policies/state/
Name of State:
- How is child abuse defined in the statute?
- Who are the mandated reporters?
- Is any group specified as “exempt”? If yes, please explain
- What are the penalties for failing to report?
- Are child witnesses to domestic violence addressed in the statute? If yes, please explain
- Do you think there is ever a good reason for a professional to fail to report child abuse?
*No need to respond to classmates, just make sure you make it known which state you picked!*
"Place your order now for a similar assignment and have exceptional work written by our team of experts, guaranteeing you A results."